Friday, December 19, 2008

Why Learn Math?! (Pt. 1: Skills and Facts)

Two questions that come up frequently are "When am I ever going to use this?" and "Why do I have to learn math?" In this clip I do my best to answer these questions as completely as is possible in under 10 minutes!! If you're interested in looking into this further I HIGHLY recommend a one-page opinion piece by Arthur Michelson (click here to go to it) and a fantastic book by John Allen Paulos titled Innumeracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhNTRlvtWoY

This clip is part one of three. Part two will have to do with the process of math and life lessons that come from that, and part three will take a look at very specific real-life situations in which math is used. As I'm putting this clip up finals have just ended, and the holidays are just beginning, so it may take me a while to get to the others, but check back - they'll be up eventually.

Funnny videos about what happens when you don't know math:

Would you have won the money?!?!
Who Wants to be a Millionaire?(Time)
Are You Smarter Than a Fifth-Grader? (Measurement)

Just for fun:
Ma and Pa Kettle Math
Abbot and Costello Math

No comments: